Monday, January 09, 2006

Brit Blaise Blogspot

Brit Blaise Blogspot
I started my morning with a visit to the local Marion County library…the Ohio Room. I came away from the experience with more of the prevailing unease about the unfriendliness I’ve encountered here. I’d like to think it’s my imagination, but it happens again and again.

Silly me! I thought people in small town America would be outgoing and friendly!

A librarian I encountered while asking about historic properties in Marion did not smile one single time during my conversations with her. I’d once seen a book in the room about local properties and I had to almost argue to get her believe it existed. She called another librarian to the room how knew exactly what I was talking about. I’d only visited the room once in my life and knew the existence of the book…is it too much to ask someone who works there to be either more informed or at least be willing to admit they don’t know it all? Or smile?

Either I need to adjust my attitude or I’ll end up being continually disappointed.

I asked the same librarian if there was a historical society in town. She kindly looked in the phonebook and then told me a street…sans address or phone number. I gave up.

Maybe I should take more care to record all the friendly people I encounter on my “old house-buying day”. Perhaps the discourteous ones just dominate my brain, pushing the good people aside?

In truth, I’m still sulking from an experience a couple of days ago. My daughter was at a fabric store in Mansfield to get fabric cut where two people cut in line in front of her. What kind of person cuts in front of a woman about to give birth? Trust me it’s obvious she's pregnant! And the salesperson knew it happened…that’s just wrong!

Enough venting and off to get my camera ready and go to the bank to get a cashier’s check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home